Greenwich--the Saxon name Grenavic means “green village” or “town”--was used by the invading Danes at the end of the 10th century as a base for their raids on London.

Greenwich History

Presented by GMT2000
Updates Webmaster Welcome Page Main Index

The early presence of man is marked by tumuli to the south-west of Flamsteed House in Greenwich Park. These are thought to be Early Bronze Age barrows re-used by the Saxons in the 6th century as burial grounds. To the east between Vanbrugh and Maze Hill Gates is the site of a Roman villa or temple. Excavated in 1902, 300 coins were found dating from Claudius and Honorius to the 4th century. Preserved today in an enclosure of railings is a small area of red paving tesserae.

Alphege, Archbishop of Canterbury, was imprisoned at Greenwich by the Danes in 1012.Held to ransom for 3,000 pieces of silver, he refused to let his people pay the sum and was stoned to death. There has been a parish church on the site since the 12th century to mark his brutal martyrdom.


The Clipper Ships Coaching days at Spread Eagle

Return to top


Greenwich Industrial History Society

Return to top


The Millennium Site on the Greenwich Peninsula

Return to top


Slide Lecture Talks on Greenwich History

Return to top

Welcome Page Main Index
Updates Webmaster
GMT2000 - Logo
©Copyright GMT2000. All rights reserved worldwide.